دلالات الواو والفاء في قصص السابقين من سورة الكهف وآثارهما في التناسب والمدة الزمانية
The Meanings of Waw and Fā’ in Surah al-Kaḥf stories and their effects on continuity and temporal period
Keywords:Conjunction, Continuity, Temporal Period, Plots, Stories
There is not a single letter in the Holy Quran that Allah has precisely chosen, although devoid of any unique meaning, can be dropped or replaced by another letter without risking a change in meaning and contradicting the will of Allah. In this regard, this study identifies the meanings of the particles of the conjunctions waw and fā’ in stories from Surah al-Kaḥf and their effects on continuity and temporal period. This study uses the descriptive-analytical method by means of content analysis where data were gathered from four Quranic commentary books: al-Kashshāf by al-Zamakhsharī, al-Baḥr al-Muḥīt by Abu Ḥayyān, Rauḥ al-Ma’ānī by al-‘Alūsī, and al-Taḥrīr wa al-Tanwīr by Ibn ’Āshūr. The findings reveal various meanings of these two particles whereby in some cases, two different meanings were found in a single occurrence in some verses. Meanings of both particles have also affected the continuity between two plots or stories, but the temporal period is more significant in the particle fā’ than waw.
‘Umar, A. M., Zahrān, M. N., & ‘Abd al-Laṭīf, M. H. (1994). al-Naḥwu al-Asāsī. Kuwait: Zat al-Salāsil. https://ia902709.us.archive.org/6/items/FP1511/1511.pdf.
Abū Ḥayyān, M. (2010). al-Baḥr al-Muḥīt fī al-Tafsīr. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr. https://waqfeya.net/book.php?bid=12385.
Abū Ṭālib, R. (2006). Hurūf al-’Aṭf fī Sūrah al-Baqarah: Dirāsat Taṭbīqiyyah Taḥlīyyah [Master’s thesis, International Islamic University Malaysia]. IIUM Student Repository. http://studentrepo.iium.edu.my/handle/123456789/8797.
al-‘Alūsī, S. M. (1994). Rauḥ al-Ma’ānī fī Tafsīr al-Qur‘ān al-‘Azīm wa al-Sub’i al-Mathānī. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-’Ilmiyyah. https://ketabpedia.com/تحميل/روح-المعاني-في-تفسير-القرآن-العظيم-وال-2/.
al-Ghalāyīnī, M. (1994). Jāmi’ al-Durūs al-‘Arabiyyah. Beirut: al-Maktabah al-‘Aṣriyyah. https://ia902209.us.archive.org/29/items/WAQ33751/03_33751.pdf.
al-Maydānī, A. H. (2014). Ma’ārij al-Tafakkur wa Daqā‘iq al-Tadabbur. Damascus: Dār al-Qalam.
al-Sāmirā‘ī, F. S. (2017). Ma’ānī al-Naḥw. Beirut: Dār Ibn Kathīr.
al-Zamakhsharī, A. Q. (2006). al-Kashshāf ’an Haqā’iq Ghawāmiḍ al-Tanzīl. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-‘Arabī. https://ebook.univeyes.com/90482/pdf-الكشاف-عن-حقائق-غوامض-التنزيل-وعيون-الأقاويل-في-وجوه-التأويل.
al-Zuḥaylī, W. (2009). al-Tafsīr al-Munīr fī al-’Aqīdah wa al-Sharī’ah wa al-Manhaj. Damascus: Dar al-Fikr al-Mu’āṣir. https://archive.org/details/1617110596.
Ḥasan. A. (n.d.). al-Naḥw al-Wāfī. Egypt: Dār al-Ma‘ārif.
Ibn ‘Āshūr, M. T. (1984). Taḥrīr al-Ma’nā al-Sadīd wa Tanwīr al-‘Aql al-Jadīd min Tafsīr al-Kitāb al-Majīd. Tunisia: al-Dār Tūnisiyah li al-Nashr. https://waqfeya.net/book.php?bid=918.
Ibn ‘Aṭiyyah, A. M. (2001). al-Muḥarrar al-Wajīz fī Tafsīr al-Kitāb al-‘Azīz. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-’Ilmiyyah. https://ia600506.us.archive.org/11/items/FP72241/01_72241.pdf.
Ibn Hishām, J. (2019). Mughnī al-Labīb ’an Kutub al-‘A’ārīb. Beirut: Dār al-Lubāb.
Ibn Ya’īsh, Y. A. (2001). Sharḥ al-Mufaṣṣal al-Zamakhsharī. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-’Ilmiyyah.
Kuhūs, R. (2016, March). Maqāṣid al-Qaṣaṣ al-Qur‘ānī. Majallah al-Dā’ī, 6(40). http://darululoom-deoband.com/arabic/articles/tmp/1583038104%2003-Al_Fikr-6_1437_1.htm#_edn1.
Norul ‘Azmi, N. A. (2017). Analisis Perbandingan Terjemahan Kata Partikel Arab Melayu: Comparative Analysis of Arabic-Malay Particle Translation. Al-Irsyad: Journal of Islamic and Contemporary Issues, 2(2), 68-80. https://doi.org/10.53840/alirsyad.v2i2.19.
Sībawayh, A. (1988). al-Kitāb. Cairo: Maktabah al-Khānjī. https://waqfeya.net/book.php?bid=8349.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 al-Irsyad: Journal of Islamic and Contemporary Issues
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- That its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with al-Irsyad: Journal of Islamic and Contemporary Issues agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Licensing for Data Publication
al-Irsyad: Journal of Islamic and Contemporary Issues use a variety of waivers and licenses that are specifically designed for and appropriate for the treatment of data:
- Open Data Commons Attribution License, http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/(default)
- Creative Commons CC-Zero Waiver, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
- Open Data Commons Public Domain Dedication and License, http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/1-0/
Other data publishing licenses may be allowed as exceptions (subject to approval by the editor on a case-by-case basis) and should be justified with a written statement from the author, which will be published with the article.
Open Data and Software Publishing and Sharing
The journal strives to maximize the replicability of the research published in it. Authors are thus required to share all data, code, or protocols underlying the research reported in their articles. Exceptions are permitted but have to be justified in a written public statement accompanying the article.
Datasets and software should be deposited and permanently archived in appropriate, trusted, general, or domain-specific repositories (please consult http://service.re3data.org and/or software repositories such as GitHub, GitLab, Bioinformatics.org, or equivalent). The associated persistent identifiers (e.g. DOI, or others) of the dataset(s) must be included in the data or software resources section of the article. Reference(s) to datasets and software should also be included in the reference list of the article with DOIs (where available). Where no domain-specific data repository exists, authors should deposit their datasets in a general repository such as ZENODO, Dryad, Dataverse, or others.
Small data may also be published as data files or packages supplementary to a research article, however, the authors should prefer in all cases a deposition in data repositories.